Cleft lip or palate are medical conditions present in a small minority of newborns. In cleft lip (known as harelip before but not anymore), a child’s
Average Cleft Lip or Palate Repair costs are € 1,839, based on Cleft Lip or Palate Repair prices from 15 clinics. Cheapest Cleft Lip or Palate Repair cost is € 1,000 where Cleft Lip or Palate Repair prices can go up to € 2,646.
Cleft Lip or Palate Repair prices vary greatly depending on the clinic and the location. For example, Cleft Lip or Palate Repair in Turkey is a popular option where Cleft Lip or Palate Repair costs as low as € 1,870.
Please note that the Cleft Lip or Palate Repair prices listed on FlyMedi are the average price for Cleft Lip or Palate Repair procedures. Clinics may ask you to provide them with specific information about your medical condition in order to provide you a detailed cost estimate for Cleft Lip or Palate Repair procedures. To receive a personalized Cleft Lip or Palate Repair quote, please click HERE.
Cleft lip or palate are medical conditions present in a small minority of newborns. In cleft lip (known as harelip before but not anymore), a child’s lip has a smaller or bigger gap, sometimes reaching up to the nose. In cleft palate, there is a cleft in one’s palate, connecting the nose with the mouth. Both cleft lip and palate lead to problems with breastfeeding and speaking, for this reason, doctors try to correct them as soon as possible.
While they seem like severe health problems and they cause some trouble to children affected by them, cleft lip and palate only rarely lead to serious complications and there is an effective cleft lip and palate treatment, including a cleft lip and palate surgery.
What Causes Cleft Lip and Palate?
Cleft lip causes and cleft palate causes are varied and include:
• Certain genes may lead to cleft lip or palate
• Some medicines taken by the mother during pregnancy may increase the risk of the occurrence of cleft lip and palate.
• Drinking and smoking during pregnancy are also counted as cleft lip and cleft palate causes.
Cleft lip or cleft palate are conditions which are easily visible for parents and a medical team right after the childbirth. Doctors assess the exact scale of child’s cleft lip and palate and prepare a cleft lip and palate treatment program, which usually includes a surgery, bone grafts, dental treatment and speech therapy.
Since children are really small (3-6 months for cleft lip and 6-12 for cleft palate) when they undergo a cleft lip and palate surgery, it is not their responsibility to prepare but their parents’. However, the surgery is not very complicated and there is a limited amount of preparations. Firstly, since a child cannot be ill during the procedure, parents need to pay extra attention to its health in the weeks before cleft lip and palate surgery. Secondly, the child should neither drink nor eat before the cleft lip and palate repair.
• Cleft Lip Surgery – in cleft lip repair, doctor perform a series of cuts next to the cleft and then sew tissues together, creating a fully functional lip. It is well-known and practised cleft lip surgery with a high success rate.
• Cleft Palate Repair – before the surgery itself, doctors often install a prosthetic device called palatal obturator, which helps a child eat and speak normally. Around 6-12 months a cleft palate surgery may be performed. However, the child’s development often deems a series of cleft palate surgeries in order to correct ongoing changes. For this reason, instead of classical cleft palate surgery, doctors nowadays may choose new approaches, such as the Latham appliance. In the Latham appliance, a set of screws placed in the palate is turned daily in order to narrow the cleft. After achieving good results with the Latham appliance, doctors turn to a cleft palate surgery.
Cleft lip or cleft palate surgery recovery depends on their extent. Sometimes the tissue may feel numb and children can cause damage to themselves without feeling it. Elbow restraints are often used in order to prevent children from touching the cleft lip and palate surgery operation site.
Additionally, the cleft lip and palate treatment do not finish with a cleft lip surgery or a cleft palate surgery – there are several other issues which usually needs to be fixed, such as:
• Hearing Problems – many children with cleft lip and palate have a problem with hearing, known as glue ear.
• Dental Issues – if the cleft lip affects also the gums, teeth may be tilted.
• Speaking Problems – especially in cleft palate a child may experience difficulties with proper speaking due to the existence of a connection between oral cavity and nose.
Scars after cleft lip surgery are usually hard to spot after a few years from this procedure.
To risks of cleft lift and palate repair belong:
• Complete wound breakdown
Most of the children with cleft lip or cleft palate are able to live a normal life thanks to cleft lip or palate repair. Some sources claim that up to 70% of children have good outcomes of their cleft lip and palate surgery, as new techniques of cleft lip and palate treatment are available, this percentage is expected to rise.