Breast cancer is one of the common types of cancer, affecting hundreds of thousands of women every year. Its prevalence leads many to look for any possible early signs of breast cancer, while others assume that they don’t have to care about breast cancer awareness since they do not have a history of this disease running in the family. Breast cancer information mixed with disinformation circulates the web and it is often hard to separate myths and facts. Having this in mind, we would like to tackle some popular myths of breast cancer origin, causes, and the effectiveness of breast cancer awareness. We hope that in the end, facts will win over popular beliefs and while avoiding a panic, people will be able to look for real signs & symptoms of breast cancer.
Looking for Breast Cancer Treatment? See the list of clinics and compare prices.
Only Females Can Get Breast Cancer
While breast cancer awareness campaigns promoting solutions such as breast self-examination and regular mammography are generally directed towards women, it does not mean that men cannot get a breast cancer. While such an occurrence is much rarer in males, it still is a real threat to the lives of thousands of man all over the world. Therefore, dear mean, remember, lumps and changes in your breasts belong to the early signs of for all genders!
Every Lump in Your Chest Is a Breast Cancer
In looking for breast cancer, lumps are a viable indicator that something may be going wrong in your body. However, it does not mean that every lump in your breast is a malign tumor! If during your breast self-examination you spot a change do not worry, in most of the cases it will be of other origin or at most, it will be a benign tumor. Only rarely lumps turn out to be a breast cancer tissue. Panic is not a solution and a visit to your doctor will help to make everything clear with a series of tests.
Bras Cause Breast Cancer
Among numerous myths and facts proliferated through the internet, this one is especially bizarre. We would like to announce that bras have no influence on breast cancer risk, especially, that hours of studies were dedicated to debunking this myth of breast cancer.
Deodorants and Antiperspirants Lead to Breast Cancer
Yet another one example that not everything that you find on the internet is true. So far, apart from one inconclusive finding, no scientific research has proven that deodorants and antiperspirants have any impact on breast cancer risk. Rather than counting this gossip as one of facts, better forget it as soon as possible.
Breast Cancer Risk Is Primarily Genetic
To myths of breast cancer which have the most damaging effect on women of all ages belongs the myth of breast cancer gene. It is true, around 5-10% of cases were connected in a way to one’s family background. However, the remaining 90% or so of breast cancers are caused by other risk factors such as unhealthy lifestyle, heavy drinking or smoking.
There Are No Ways to Decrease the Breast Cancer Risk
On the scale of myths vs facts, this one is definitely a myth. While risk cannot be avoided in 100%, there is plenty of solutions which bring this risk to a minimum. First of all, cancer risk is heavily affected by the life you lead. Healthy food, a good dose of exercise, drinking within certain limits and quitting smoking – all of these are often emphasized in campaigns promoting breast cancer awareness. For women from risk group such as suspected to have a breast cancer gene, treatments such as prophylactic mastectomy may do the job. Ask about it during your next routine check-up.
Additionally, routine breast self-examinations and regular tests such as mammography may help in spotting early signs of breast cancer before it becomes too big and too dangerous. While it doesn’t really count as decreasing the risk, it may lead to you winning with the disease before it started to spread.
Mastectomy Is the Only Effective Breast Cancer Treatment
Mastectomy was the preferred treatment for many years. However, with women paying more attention to signs & symptoms of breast cancer and therefore allowing for an early diagnosis, doctors have a larger spectrum of action which they can choose as an effective treatment. Partial mastectomy or removal of the small localized tumor without removing the breast are viable options for many patients, especially, that they are often supported by chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
There Is No Such Thing as Brest Cancer in Young Women
Similarly to men who have breast cancer, young women and girls also need to keep in mind a possible risk, even though it is much smaller than in middle-aged women. As with other groups in danger of cancer, lumps are one of the popular indicators that something may be happening in your breast. However, as we have mentioned in other facts, do not confuse breast cancer awareness with panicking – most of the lumps are of origin other than carcinoma.