Scoliosis is a sideways curvature of the spine. It is a health problem experienced by millions. Scoliosis affects the quality of life of patients and may even cause a danger to one’s health – it may put pressure on internal organs against the rib cage.Incorrect spine curving is not, however, a sentence. Nowadays, doctors not only diagnose scoliosis but also propose effective treatments such as spinal fusion. However, the issue is more complicated than that.
In this article, we would like to pay attention to the quality of medical advice and the surgery for scoliosis. We want to point out that while the scoliosis surgery may be a blessing, it may be a curse if not conducted in the right place and by an experienced orthopedic surgeon.
Additionally, we are pleased to inform you that more and more patients choose to have scoliosis treatment in Turkey. Why? There are many reasons, including the quality of health centers such as Acibadem Spine Health Centre and the professionalism of the medical teams there.
Facts about Scoliosis – a Quick Reminder
- There are many types of sideways spinal curvature, including degenerative scoliosis, adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, and neuromuscular scoliosis.
- There are many risk factors, of which many we can’t really control.
- Scoliosis may be caused by congenital disabilities.
- Family history helps determine whether the child will have it, for scoliosis is at least partially hereditary.
- Another common scoliosis cause is the wrong posture and lack of physical activity, especially in adolescence, in the time of growth spurts.
Treatment for Scoliosis – How Is It Done?
Firstly, doctors have to diagnose scoliosis accurately. Determining the severity of the curves is the key. People with mild scoliosis do not experience any discomfort or danger to their life and health. To determine the scoliosis occurrence, medical professionals use an MRI scan or CT scan. Previously, it was done only by X-ray and so-called Cobb angle.
Once one of the types of scoliosis is spotted, the curve’s progression is measured over a period. If the curve gets worse, doctors present the patient with treatment options. These often include scoliosis braces – straps of material which prevent, do not correct the curve but definitely impede the curve’s progression.
The last option is surgery for scoliosis. In children and adolescents, doctors prefer to wait until they stop growing. In the severe cases of degenerative scoliosis or neuromuscular scoliosis in adults, orthopedic surgeons are more eager to treat scoliosis on an operation table.
In spinal fusion, specialists correct the curve as much as they can and then attach bone grafts between the vertebrae in order to stimulate the bone merger.
How Can I Choose the Right Hospital?
While spinal fusion is possible to be summarised in one sentence, it is a very delicate procedure. After all, we talk here about the spine, a very fragile part of the body. Damage to the spinal cord can be lethal or lead to partial paralysis. Therefore, choosing top-end clinics with experienced medical professionals is a must.
What shall we pay attention to?
- Specialization – a clinic may perform spinal fusion and have a good reputation in general. However, if it is not one of the main procedures conducted, the doctors may not have a particularly good knowledge of this treatment of scoliosis. Such a case may be one of the risk factors and result in a failure of your scoliosis surgery.
- Medical advice before the procedure – you should have a right to ask all the questions you want. Medical professionals who will take care of you should inform you about risk factors and all the treatment options available.
- How do They Diagnose Scoliosis? – Make sure that the clinic you choose does not depend solely on Cobb angle to determine the state of your spine. Inquire whether there are MRI scans and CT scans available. After all, the curve of the spine happens in 3, not 2 dimensions. Deciding on scoliosis treatment in Turkey, you can be sure that the top clinics have the necessary equipment and use it for the benefit of scoliosis patients.
- What Is the State of the Clinic? – Not only the wisdom of medical professionals but also the environment plays an essential role in every treatment. We feel better when we spend our time in clean, aesthetic spaces. Make sure that your clinic is a top-end facility catering to your needs.
Traveling to Turkey for Scoliosis Treatment?
Scoliosis treatment in Turkey is a choice made by thousands of patients every year. Scoliosis in children and adolescents, as well as scoliosis in adults, are treated in a number of highly specialized clinics opened by top hospitals in cities like Istanbul, Izmir, and Ankara.
These healthcare centers are engaged in scoliosis research and offer a professional diagnosis as well as a range of treatment options from scoliosis braces to a spinal fusion.
Some would say that it is a matter of geographical proximity. However, do not get misled by that. Turkey’s position between Europe and Asia was definitely an important factor. Still, it was dwarfed in recent years by the steady improvements in quality. Today, Turkish hospitals are among top destinations for patients willing to undergo either plastic surgery or bone and joint surgery.
Why Acibadem Should Be My Choice?
Acibadem Spine Health Centre is an excellent example of why people choose to undergo a scoliosis treatment in Turkey. Its medical professionals experience and dedication has led to many scoliosis patients enjoying their lives fully and not worrying about their spines anymore.
In the Acibadem Spine Center, you can be sure that the spinal deformities you suffer from will be taken care of, one way or another. Additionally, you will be offered, and your offer will most probably include the hotel and transportation. This way, you don’t need to worry about trivia. Instead, you can focus on your health.
How Can I Contact Them?
It is pretty easy. Just CLICK here, and you can fill in a short form. This is the best way to start your scoliosis treatment in Turkey.
This content is created and published by Flymedi Medical Editors in May 17, 2019.