Tonsillectomy is a kind of surgical operation
Average Tonsillectomy costs are € 2,860, based on Tonsillectomy prices from 15 clinics. Cheapest Tonsillectomy cost is € 1,500 where Tonsillectomy prices can go up to € 3,540.
Tonsillectomy prices vary greatly depending on the clinic and the location. For example, Tonsillectomy in Turkey is a popular option where Tonsillectomy costs as low as € 1,500.
Please note that the Tonsillectomy prices listed on FlyMedi are the average price for Tonsillectomy procedures. Clinics may ask you to provide them with specific information about your medical condition in order to provide you a detailed cost estimate for Tonsillectomy procedures. To receive a personalized Tonsillectomy quote, please click HERE.
Tonsillectomy is a kind of surgical operation made for removing tonsils. The tonsils oval-shaped and there are back in the throat. Tonsils' main function is producing white blood cells to fight with viruses or bacterias entering the mouth. It sensitizes the tonsils against infections and inflammations. Children's tonsils more sensitive than adults because the immune system in children does not feel strong enough to fight against bacteria that enter the mouth. Tonsils more active under the age of 15.
Tonsillectomy is usually performed for the treatment of patients with acute tonsilitis. The different indications are as follows.
● Obstructive sleep apnea
● Nasal airway obstruction
● Peritonsillar abscess
Also, tonsillectomy surgery is an easy way to treat complications because of enlarged tonsils. Some of the large tonsils in patients natural but someone enlarged due to infection. Tonsillectomy operation suggested treating these problems due to enlarged tonsils.
● Difficulty breathing, in general
● Difficulty swallowing
● Difficult breathing during sleep
Sometimes adenoids are taken by an operation known as adenoidectomy. This procedure is more common in children.
The following conditions usually require tonsillectomy surgery:
● The patient suffers from severe, chronic or recurring tonsillitis ● The patients suffer from complications of enlarged tonsils
● Tonsillectomy surgery is suggestedif the patient’s tonsils are bleeding
● Antibiotics are ineffective in treating tonsillitis
If one of the following conditions is present, tonsillectomy is performed to relieve the patient.
● Cancerous tissue on one or both of the tonsils
● Recurrent bleeding from the tonsils
If the patient has an infection in the tonsils or mouth are tonsillectomy, surgery is not suggested. Also, tonsillectomy cannot be performed in case of inflammation in tonsils. It's necessary to treat these problems before undergoing surgery.
Other contraindications can include:
● Other acute infections ● Patients not suitable for general anesthesia
● Patients with susceptibility to profuse bleeding
Some tests are needed to determine that you are eligible for tonsillectomy. Aspirin and any other blood thinners prohibited before 2 weeks to the surgery. Also, smoking is prohibited 2 weeks before surgery. Finally, patients can not eat or drink anything for 8 hours before tonsillectomy surgery.
Generally, doctors prefer general anesthesia to perform tonsillectomy surgery. After anesthesia, the patient's mouth is opened, and the mouth is kept open with a clamp for the surgeon to continue the operation.
There are many ways to perform tonsillectomy as follows.
● Traditional tonsillectomy – this procedureuses a scalpel to remove the tonsils
● Laser tonsillectomy – laser technology can be used to cut the tonsils and coagulate any blood vessels that might have been damaged.
● Ultrasound tonsillectomy – this procedureuses a scalpel and ultrasound technology for the operation. The blade vibrates and heats up to around 80 degrees Celsius, effectively coagulating any blood vessels.
2 - 3 weeks
The recovery process after the surgery for about 2 weeks. Patients can feel pain and feel discomfort after the surgery. Consuming plenty of water is important in this process and relieves pain. Some patients may remain in the hospital for 1 day after surgery. Patients may experience bleeding for 10 to 14 days. During the recovery process, patients can use painkillers.
The risks and complications of tonsillectomy are as follows:
● Excessive bleeding
The side effects of tonsillectomy are as follows:
● Nausea and vomiting
● Swelling of the tongue
Examinations show that the success rate of tonsillectomy is over 90%. However, this is related to the medical conditions experienced by the patient.
Tonsillectomy is completely successful in healing tonsilitis. However, patients may sometimes experience a sore throat. Patients with obstructive sleep apnea have an improvement in the probability of 80-100% postoperatively.
- Is tonsillectomy surgery painful?
There is no pain during the operation. However, pain may be felt for 1 week postoperatively.
- Are there any alternatives to tonsillectomy surgery?
To treat tonsillitis, antibiotics can be used.
- When can I exercise after the procedure?
In order not to increase bleeding, patients should stay away from sports and exercise for 2 to 3 weeks.
This content is written and reviewed by our medical content team in August, 2019.