Vaginal hysterectomy is a type of hysterectomy procedure, during which uterus and other organs are removed through patient’s vagina rather than through an incision in the abdomen (abdominal hysterectomy) or with laparoscopy (laparoscopic hysterectomy). It is generally agreed that vaginal hysterectomy surgery enables quicker recovery from hysterectomy and do not cause as many complications as an abdominal hysterectomy.
The technique of vaginal hysterectomy allows performing of different types of hysterectomy, such as:
• Subtotal hysterectomy – Only patient’s uterus is removed. This is the most limited type of hysterectomy surgery.
• Total hysterectomy – Both patient’s uterus and cervix are removed.
• Radical hysterectomy – In this hysterectomy procedure patient’s uterus, cervix, surrounding tissues, and glands, as well as parts of the vagina, are removed.
• Hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – radical and total hysterectomy may also include the removal of fallopian tubes and ovaries.
Sometimes, vaginal hysterectomy may be supported by laparoscope, resulting in so-called laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomy. Doctors who do not prefer total laparoscopic hysterectomy due to lack of experience or other reasons may still use laparoscopy to have a clear sight of the uterus and other organs while performing the vaginal hysterectomy.
Vaginal hysterectomy may be performed for a number of reasons, including:
• Abnormal bleeding and pelvic pain without a clear reason – doctors may decide for hysterectomy as a way of solving some gynaecological problems.
• Cancer of many kinds, including uterine cancer and cervical cancer.
As for why vaginal hysterectomy is favored over abdominal hysterectomy, the reason is a lesser amount of pain as well as shorter hysterectomy recovery time.
Vaginal hysterectomy is not the first choice when there is a suspicion of cancers in cervix or uterus. Additionally, treatment of endometriosis is usually performed through an abdominal hysterectomy. Finally, not always it is possible to remove the uterus through vagina due to its size – in this case, doctors will decide for abdominal hysterectomy.
Unlike abdominal hysterectomy, a vaginal hysterectomy means no visible scar since doctors remove organs through one’s vagina. It may be a big advantage, assuming that medical situation or doctor’s experience does not require the abdominal hysterectomy.
While vaginal hysterectomy positively affects hysterectomy recovery time and minimalises the risk of infection due to lack of open cuts, it has also negative sides. These include a higher risk of damage to other organs.
Average Vaginal Hysterectomy costs are € 4,463, based on Vaginal Hysterectomy prices from 17 clinics. Cheapest Vaginal Hysterectomy cost is € 1,500 where Vaginal Hysterectomy prices can go up to € 6,541.
Vaginal Hysterectomy prices vary greatly depending on the clinic and the location. For example, Vaginal Hysterectomy in Turkey is a popular option where Vaginal Hysterectomy costs as low as € 3,271.
Please note that the Vaginal Hysterectomy prices listed on FlyMedi are the average price for Vaginal Hysterectomy procedures. Clinics may ask you to provide them with specific information about your medical condition in order to provide you a detailed cost estimate for Vaginal Hysterectomy procedures. To receive a personalized Vaginal Hysterectomy quote, please click HERE.