If the patient has an infection in the tonsils or mouth are tonsillectomy, surgery is not suggested. Also, tonsillectomy cannot be performed in case of inflammation in tonsils. It's necessary to treat these problems before undergoing surgery.
Other contraindications can include:
● Anemia ● Other acute infections ● Patients not suitable for general anesthesia ● Patients with susceptibility to profuse bleeding
Some tests are needed to determine that you are eligible for tonsillectomy. Aspirin and any other blood thinners prohibited before 2 weeks to the surgery. Also, smoking is prohibited 2 weeks before surgery. Finally, patients can not eat or drink anything for 8 hours before tonsillectomy surgery.
How It Is Performed
Generally, doctors prefer general anesthesia to perform tonsillectomy surgery. After anesthesia, the patient's mouth is opened, and the mouth is kept open with a clamp for the surgeon to continue the operation.
There are many ways to perform tonsillectomy as follows.
● Traditional tonsillectomy – this procedureuses a scalpel to remove the tonsils ● Laser tonsillectomy – laser technology can be used to cut the tonsils and coagulate any blood vessels that might have been damaged. ● Ultrasound tonsillectomy – this procedureuses a scalpel and ultrasound technology for the operation. The blade vibrates and heats up to around 80 degrees Celsius, effectively coagulating any blood vessels.
The recovery process after the surgery for about 2 weeks. Patients can feel pain and feel discomfort after the surgery. Consuming plenty of water is important in this process and relieves pain. Some patients may remain in the hospital for 1 day after surgery. Patients may experience bleeding for 10 to 14 days. During the recovery process, patients can use painkillers.
The risks and complications of tonsillectomy are as follows:
● Excessive bleeding ● Infection
The side effects of tonsillectomy are as follows:
● Pain ● Discomfort ● Nausea and vomiting ● Headaches ● Swelling of the tongue
Examinations show that the success rate of tonsillectomy is over 90%. However, this is related to the medical conditions experienced by the patient.
Before And After
Tonsillectomy is completely successful in healing tonsilitis. However, patients may sometimes experience a sore throat. Patients with obstructive sleep apnea have an improvement in the probability of 80-100% postoperatively.
- Is tonsillectomy surgery painful? There is no pain during the operation. However, pain may be felt for 1 week postoperatively.
- Are there any alternatives to tonsillectomy surgery? To treat tonsillitis, antibiotics can be used.
- When can I exercise after the procedure? In order not to increase bleeding, patients should stay away from sports and exercise for 2 to 3 weeks.
Back To Sports
2 - 3 weeks
This content is written and reviewed by our medical content team in August, 2019.