Plastic surgery procedures’ history is not as new as it seems. First attempts at plastic and cosmetic surgery predate many other branches of medicine. Egyptian and Roman plastic surgeons, if we may call them by this term, focused mostly on the reconstruction of noses and other body parts which sustained some damage.
Ancient texts dated to roughly 2500 to 3000 BCE have descriptions of broken noses and their repair. Then, there was the fall of Rome and the Middle Ages, during which the authority of the Catholic Church prevented further developments in aesthetic surgery.
The lack of anesthesia meant much pain in attempts to perform plastic surgery procedures, rather than the lack of disinfection, which caused a high risk of postoperative infection. The awaited change was brought by the dawn of both anesthesia and modern disinfection; however, it was not until World War that plastic surgery procedures became a part of the medical mainstream.
Who Needs Plastic Surgery? Men or Women?
The image of plastic surgery clinics has been changed as plastic surgery procedures gain popularity over the years. While it is an object of interest of middle-aged women who try to keep their youth and fight against aging, nowadays, aesthetic surgery is a choice also made by many women and men of every age.
As an example, liposuction is a very effective way of fighting stubborn fat tissue accumulating in the lower abdomen and is often impossible to be removed through traditional ways such as workouts and a regular diet. Even nose jobs become more and more popular among men who do not like the shape of their noses.
Breast augmentation (boob job) which was treated as a synonym for plastic surgery was joined by breast reduction, helping women who do not feel comfortable with big breasts and prefer a smaller size.
Does Plastic Surgery Hurt?
Although the number of pain patients can tolerate may vary depending on each patient, recent developments and new technology used have significantly reduced the amount of pain experienced both during, before, and after surgery. On top of that, as in any surgical procedure, some amount of discomfort is common and usual.
Why Choose Plastic Surgery?
There are many reasons why people decide on plastic surgery. The predominant one throughout the ages was using aesthetic surgery for the reconstruction of damaged noses, ears, or faces. War veterans or gladiators wanted to have their faces corrected by the first plastic surgeons.
However, there is also a second branch – cosmetic surgery for aesthetic reasons. Some people want to look younger and fresher as they feel inside. Others try to change a feature they've never liked or internalized. The decision of cosmetic plastic surgery is very personal rather than -usually- medical.
One of the important factors is to set realistic expectations. Because plastic surgeries may change appearance, may boom self-esteem but may not solve problems or change lives.
Plastic Surgery in Medical Tourism
Plastic and cosmetic surgeries became a driving power behind the development of medical tourism in the world. Getting plastic surgery abroad seemed to many people a most suitable option for many reasons. First and foremost, there is a price issue.
The cost of plastic surgery at home can be several times higher than that of plastic surgery abroad. At the same time, you don't have to worry about quality and results, as foreign cosmetic clinics are often well-equipped and have good staff, helping many patients to make this decision.
You also have the opportunity to compare the best plastic surgeons in the world when evaluating medical tourism options. Cheap flights also contributed to the steady growth of the number of people who decide for plastic surgery abroad. As for examples of the most popular plastic surgery destinations:
- Plastic surgery in Poland is thought to be a good option for German and English patients who appreciate affordable plastic surgery prices and qualified medical teams working in certified and well-equipped clinics.
- Plastic surgery in Turkey is increasingly popular among people from Central Europe as well as Middle Eastern countries thanks to geographic proximity, cultural richness, and outstanding performance of Turkey’s plastic surgery clinics in terms of the high standard of facilities and the level of experience of their specialists. There are lots of branches from the most popular procedures such as breast augmentation or liposuction to specific ones such as laser eye surgery or bariatric surgeries.
- Plastic surgery in India is one of the best medical tourism options, especially due to the significant difference in the costs of plastic surgery. However, the country's distance to Europe makes the flight from there a bit expensive. Therefore not many medical tourists can easily decide on clinics in Delhi or other major cities.
Most Popular Plastic Surgeries Abroad & Non-surgical Procedures
- Breast Augmentation – so-called boob job remains the most popular aesthetic surgery worldwide. According to data released by The International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS union breast augmentation surgery is the first rank among the top 5 plastic surgery procedures with almost 1.7 million procedures performed in 2017. The following 4 most popular procedures are Liposuction, Eyelid Surgery, Rhinoplasty, and Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck).
- Rhinoplasty – nose job is also one of the top 5 plastic surgeries performed according to annual data released. In some countries such as Iran, a nose job is thought to be a must in some circles and even men increasingly feel under pressure to have their rhinoplasty surgery performed. Rhinoplasty cost can be way too much expensive than expected in some West European countries or the US. So, many people around the world go abroad to have this surgery.
- Liposuction –while no longer thought of as a way to lose kilograms, liposuction is still a popular cosmetic surgery. Nowadays, it is recommended as a way of finalizing one’s effort at losing weight, when some fat tissue stubbornly remains despite strict workout and diet. Liposuction is one of the popular cosmetic procedures in medical tourism since its cost can be more affordable abroad.
- Tummy Tuck – another name for abdominoplasty, in this type of plastic surgery procedure, surgeons remove not only abdominal fat but also excessive skin in order to achieve a more pleasing look of the lower abdomen. Tummy tuck cost changes in every country, therefore, some patients prefer to undergo this surgery abroad.
Breast augmentations cost can be very affordable in some medical tourism destinations such as Turkey, Hungary, or India. Some people prefer these countries and combine their medical travel with a little vacation.
- Botox Injections – Botox injections are one of the most popular non-surgical procedures today. These injections make the skin or lips firmer without excessive medical attention. The biggest disadvantage of Botox injections is that they are not permanent and should be repeated at certain times following the initial application
This content is written and reviewed by our medical content team in February 2022