By Abdulaziz Ali - Medically reviewed by Prof. Zeynep Sevim, on Apr 28, 2023
Revision Rhinoplasty Recovery Time
The recovery time from the revision rhinoplasty is the same as almost all cosmetic procedures. It takes anywhere between 4 to 6 weeks to heal from the revision rhinoplasty in Turkey. However, you can go back to work and go about your daily life after the end of the first week.
It is important to take extra care of yourself during this period. Since it is a revision rhinoplasty, the risk of complications and permanent scarring is even higher. Refrain from smoking during the recovery period.
How Nose Reshaping Is Performed?
The revision rhinoplasty in Turkey is different than the rhinoplasty procedure in that it requires a cartilage graft. Most of the time, nose reshaping is required because of a lack of enough cartilage. This is why your revision rhinoplasty procedure will begin with your surgeon grafting cartilage from other parts of the body, namely, the ear or the rib.
After the cartilage has been grafted, the rhinoplasty procedure will begin. The procedure is performed under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with intravenous sedation. The procedure can take anywhere between 90 minutes to 4 hours, depending on the complexity of the procedure.
The procedure involves your surgeon cutting and fitting the cartilage graft in your nose. The surgeon will manipulate the graft and nasal cartilage till the shape of the nose is enhanced.
This marks the end of the revision rhinoplasty procedure and the beginning of your recovery period.
We have many clinics that specialize in revision rhinoplasty surgery. And they offer various types of anesthesia, such as the following:
- Local anesthesia
- IV Sedation
- General Anesthesia
Your revision rhinoplasty specialist will decide on the type of anesthesia best suits your needs and medical condition.
The Surgical Process
- After anesthesia, the surgeon will start the procedure.
- Your surgeon will make tiny incisions between or inside your nostrils.
- After the incisions, the surgeon will separate your skin from the cartilage or bone, and they will begin the revision process.
- Revision rhinoplasty often requires cartilage for structural support for the nose's tip and bridge. The surgeon might choose cartilage from a donor area like the ear or rib in the patient's body.
- The surgeon may place a plastic or metal splint on your nose or nasal packs inside your nostrils.
What Should I Expect After Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery?
After the surgery, you will spend the first night at the hospital under your doctor's supervision. The revision rhinoplasty recovery process will take several weeks, and you may feel low-degree pain and discomfort in the form of pressure around the nose in the first two days. It is normal to feel nausea; this is a common side effect of anesthesia. But your doctor will prescribe medication to manage the pain.
First Week After the Surgery
During the first week after the procedure, you may feel uncomfortable, and you can expect:
- Wear a splint on your nose
- Feel sore and experience breathing difficulties.
- Wear a compression bandage under your nose to soak up any fluid or blood
- Experience discomfort inside your nose
- Have swelling for the first three days
- Notice some minor bruises.
Second Week After the Surgery
In the second week, you will have to follow up with a doctor and remove your splint. During this period, you can expect the following:
- The dissolvable sutures will start to disappear
- The doctor will remove the splinter.
- Swelling and bruises on your nose will begin to disappear.
- Your appearance will gradually get back to normal, and you can make public appearances.
- You can return to work in the second week (that is, if your job doesn't involve physical activities).
- The incision will start to shrink and become smaller and smaller.
Third Week After the Surgery
From this stage onwards, you will begin to notice the surgery results.
- The swelling will be minor, and you will see subtle changes in your nose. Here is what you should expect:
- Your incision will be slightly reddish, but it can easily be covered using makeup.
- Your doctor might recommend you to take two weeks off work. You can resume your daily activities, even physical exercising.
Week Four and after
A month after the surgery, most of the swelling will fade. In six months up to a year, you can expect to see the final results. The revision rhinoplasty may extend beyond one year for extensive tip adjustment patients.
Side Effects of Secondary Rhinoplasty
Some of the most common side effects of the revision rhinoplasty in Turkey are:
- permanent scarring
- Bump in the nasal bridge
- Temporary numbness
- Persistent swelling and bruising
However, most of the reactions will resolve spontaneously, without requiring medical help.
Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery Results
The revision rhinoplasty in Turkey has excellent reviews online. Patients report high satisfaction and success rates, on average, around 96 and 93 percent, respectively. The results of the procedure, combined with the low cost of the nose job, make for an excellent package.
How To Prepare For Nose Job Surgery?
- Stop smoking in preparation for the surgery
- Be candid with your surgeon about your expected results. Come to a mutual agreement about the results you want and how to achieve them safely
- Speak to your doctor to adjust the doses of your current medications.
- Ask a loved one to accompany you
- Take time off work to allow yourself to heal in a relaxing environment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it safe to get a nose job in Turkey?
Yes, it is safe to get a nose job in Turkey as the country has high standards for health care.
How much is revision rhinoplasty in Turkey?
The revision rhinoplasty Turkey cost is quite low compared to other European countries. On average, it costs €3500 for revision rhinoplasty in Turkey.
Is revision rhinoplasty more painful?
Most patients report they experience a low degree of pain. And experience a faster recovery period compared to the previous rhinoplasty surgery. Revision rhinoplasty surgery will result in less bruising. But it depends on the amount of revision your case needs.
Should I go to the same surgeon for revision rhinoplasty?
It is advised to seek the consultation of your primary doctor who performed the rhinoplasty. Then seek a second opinion from an expert surgeon who has experience in revision rhinoplasty surgeries.
How many times can you have revision rhinoplasty?
There is no accurate number of times you can have revision rhinoplasty. It is vital to choose the right surgeon. Each surgery will come with a set of complications and risks increase. But the procedure will get more complicated the more you have it.
How difficult is a third rhinoplasty?
It is possible to seek a third revision rhinoplasty. But it will have more risks compared to the previous surgeries. It is best to wait until you're fully recovered, which is a year after your last rhinoplasty surgery.
Which country is best for revision rhinoplasty?
Turkey is considered one of the best destinations for medical tourism. It hosts best-in-class plastic surgeons and modern facilities.