Recommended For Fat Transfer
Patients with creases or defects in the buttocks, face, bust, hands can benefit from fat transfer surgery.
Not Recommended For Fat Transfer
Fat transfer surgery or fat grafting surgery is not recommended for underweight patients since they cannot have enough fat tissue required for fat harvesting. Therefore, patients usually need to be a bit overweight for this surgery. Patients also need to be in good health and stop smoking before undergoing surgery.
Discharge From Hospital
An overnight stay may be required
Duration Of Operation
1 to 2 hours
Autologous fat transfer surgery, also known as fat grafting surgery or fat injections is a type of plastic surgery procedure in which fatty tissue is transferred from areas with excess fat, to areas lacking in volume. Men and women from all around the world use this type of procedure in order to improve their aesthetical appearance.It is also a safe, relatively complication-free, minimally invasive technique, which can be used to correct a wide range of deformities in the area of the face, trunk, and extremities.
During fat transfer surgery, it should be enough volume of fat in the donor area. Fat is usually harvested from the abdomen, thighs, and buttocks. Then it is reinjected into the body through a process called fat injection – the fat is usually injected into areas such as breasts, face, hands, or buttocks.
There are a few types of autologous fat transfer surgery or fat grafting surgery, depending on the areas where the fat is injected into the body:
● Fat transfer to face– This technique is a good choice for patients with laugh lines, smile lines, facial creases, acne scars, under eyes, cheeks, deep lines between the nose and mouth, forehead wrinkles or other skin depressions.
● Fat transfer breast enlargementorfat transfer to breast– This technique is recommended for patients who desire a small increase in bust size.
● Fat grafting breast reconstruction – Fat transfer surgery is useful for patients suffering from breast defects or deformities. It can also be used for total breast reconstruction after mastectomy.
● Fat transfer to buttocks – This technique is also called and known as Brazilian butt lift.
● Hand rejuvenation with fat transfer surgery – patients, can improve the look of their hands, making them appear much younger through fat transfer technique.
● Fat transfer to lips– The harvested fat can be injected into the patient’s lips to make them look naturally fuller.
● Fat transfer to legs or calves– This surgery helps to create contoured thighs, knees, and calves.
Heavy smokers need to quit smoking at least a month before going in for fat transfer surgery as it can have a negative effect on the outcome of fat transfer surgery. Blood thinners such as aspirin, herbal supplements and anti-inflammatory medicines are also not allowed at least 2 weeks before the surgery.
How It Is Performed
Fat transfer surgery requires both local or general anesthesia. Once the anesthesia is applied, the surgeon begins harvesting the extra fat from the patients’ body through liposuction. The harvested fat is then reinjected into the patient’s treated area such as face, hands, buttocks or bust, according to a pre-set objective. Once the expected result is achieved surgery is completed and the fat grafting recovery period can begin.
The fat grafting surgery recovery period depends on where the fat is harvested from, the area where it is reinjected and the amount of fat used. There will probably be bruising and swelling in the treated area for a week or two. Patients may need to take a couple of weeks off work.
Fat grafting surgery’s risks and complications can include:
● A negative reaction to anesthesia
● Infection in the area where the fat is harvested
● Changes in sensation
● Damage to tissues in the liposuction area
● Revision surgery due to the unsatisfactory results
After the first week, these post-operatory side effects, such as swelling and bruising, will gradually subside. However, in some cases during the second-week swelling may still remain. Sports and strenuous activities should be avoided for 2 weeks after the procedure, and smoking is strongly prohibited at least for a month after the surgery.
A survey based on 309 fat grafting surgery patients sets the satisfaction rate at 84%.
Before And After
Fat transfer surgery is a safe and satisfactory procedure which provides long lasting results to patients. It’s important to note that patients need to keep their weight stable in order to maintain their surgical results.
Fat transfer surgery results last practically indefinitely. The patient is required to maintain a stable weight and healthy lifestyle after the surgery in order the fat grafting surgery results to last longer.
Will the Skin Around The Donor Site Become Saggy Once The Fat Is Removed?
Back To Work
Fat transfer surgery does not cause your skin to sag. If the patient's body does not contain enough fat, the operation will not be performed. The amount of fat that can be safely harvested is limited to ensure that the skin is not sagging after fat grafting.
Are There Any Fat Transfer Surgery Alternatives?
Yes, dermal fillers.You can undergo your fat transfer surgery or choose any other alternative treatments abroad, for example, in a country like Turkey, which has proved its success and cost-effective approach in health tourism for years.
Back To Sports
This content is written and reviewed by our medical content team in June, 2019.