Autologous fat transfer surgery, also known as fat grafting surgery or fat injections is a type of plastic surgery procedure in which fatty tissue is transferred from areas with excess fat, to areas lacking in volume. Men and women from all around the world use this type of procedure in order to improve their aesthetical appearance.It is also a safe, relatively complication-free, minimally invasive technique, which can be used to correct a wide range of deformities in the area of the face, trunk, and extremities.
During fat transfer surgery, it should be enough volume of fat in the donor area. Fat is usually harvested from the abdomen, thighs, and buttocks. Then it is reinjected into the body through a process called fat injection – the fat is usually injected into areas such as breasts, face, hands, or buttocks.
There are a few types of autologous fat transfer surgery or fat grafting surgery, depending on the areas where the fat is injected into the body:
● Fat transfer to face– This technique is a good choice for patients with laugh lines, smile lines, facial creases, acne scars, under eyes, cheeks, deep lines between the nose and mouth, forehead wrinkles or other skin depressions.
● Fat transfer breast enlargementorfat transfer to breast– This technique is recommended for patients who desire a small increase in bust size.
● Fat grafting breast reconstruction – Fat transfer surgery is useful for patients suffering from breast defects or deformities. It can also be used for total breast reconstruction after mastectomy.
● Fat transfer to buttocks – This technique is also called and known as Brazilian butt lift.
● Hand rejuvenation with fat transfer surgery – patients, can improve the look of their hands, making them appear much younger through fat transfer technique.
● Fat transfer to lips– The harvested fat can be injected into the patient’s lips to make them look naturally fuller.
● Fat transfer to legs or calves– This surgery helps to create contoured thighs, knees, and calves.