Orthopedics is a branch of medicine concentrated on human skeleton and muscles. While orthopedics procedures are usually associated by us with sports orthopedics, it is not the only focus of orthopedics doctor. The word orthopedics comes from Greek ortho (correct) and paidion (child) since it was initially intended to describe the part of medicine focused on the correct posture of children. However, with time orthopedics’ meaning evolved.
There are many situations which require a visit to orthopedics clinic. Most popular are sports injuries such as knee injuries requiring knee replacement or arthroscopic knee surgery. Additionally, spine problems such as scoliosis in children and adults are too dealt with by orthopedics specialists – a visit to orthopedics pediatrician is often caused by bad sitting habits, while adults suffer mostly from behind the desk jobs.
Orthopedics Clinic Abroad
It is not a surprise that in the era of globalisation and increasing interconnection between various parts of the world, a medical procedure stopped to be a matter of local hospital. Cheap airlines and increasing knowledge about surrounding world cause many patients to choose foreign clinics for their surgeries, including orthopedics surgeries. So-called health or medical tourism long ago stopped to be an eccentric phenomenon and became a serious business, with millions of orthopedics patients as well people requiring other types of medical procedures travelling to places such as Spain, Hungary, India, or Turkey.
The reasons for this are simple and convincing. Orthopedics price abroad may be 2-3 times lower than in local orthopedics hospital. More than that – travelling to a health tourism destination does not mean losing on quality since many foreign Orthopedics clinics are well-equipped and staffed with best orthopedics surgeons available. As for top choices for orthopedics abroad, these are a few worth mentioning:
- Orthopedics in Hungary – Hungary became famous for its hospitals and clinics after it joined the European Union. Efforts of local health tourism companies and private hospitals led to a steady increase in the number of foreign patients, especially from the UK. Many of them come to Hungary for orthopedics procedures.
- Orthopedics in Spain – Spain is not only a tourist destination anymore. It is also a bustling center of medical tourism, with highly qualified orthopedic doctors waiting for their patients in state of the art orthopedics clinics.
- Orthopedics in Turkey – Turkey is a shining star of health tourism in general and of orthopedics abroad in particular. Throughout the last decade, Turkey has shown that sandy beaches and historical monuments aren’t its only quality when it comes to attracting foreign visitors. Orthopedics cost in Turkey is much lower than in most of the European countries and geographical proximity makes its cheap to fly there and undergo orthopedics surgery such as knee replacement. In the same time, the quality of orthopedics procedures is comparable with European standards.
Common Orthopedics Procedures Abroad
People deciding for seeking of good orthopedics abroad suffer from a range of orthopedic conditions. However, a few of them are especially common among medical tourists visiting foreign destinations such as Turkey, Germany,Poland or Hungary:
- Knee Replacement – Patients needing knee replacement surgery are one of the biggest groups of orthopedics patients visiting foreign destinations. For instance, knee replacement cost Turkey is much lower than it is back home without losing anything from quality of the medical procedure.
- Arthroscopy – Arthroscopic knee surgery is a next-generation medical procedure, which does not require either long recovery period or opening the knee. Thanks to the arthroscope, a device equipped with a camera and surgical tools, doctors can access the operation site through a number of small cuts instead of one big cut. Thanks to this, the arthroscopic procedure is appreciated by many sportsmen who can’t wait to come back to the game. Arthroscopy in Turkey and other medical tourism destinations is performed in top-end orthopedics clinics, which guarantees splendid results for the more affordable price.
- Hip Replacement– Hip replacement is a must for many people, especially elders. However, in many countries, the hip replacement surgery cost is too high for an average citizen. In the same time, the cost of hip replacement Turkey is much lower and that’s what attracts to this country thousands of orthopedics patients every year.
- Shoulder Replacement– Under the name “shoulder replacement” we understand the replacement of shoulder joint. This orthopedics surgery is a very common one among especially elder people who suffer from arthritis. Still, shoulder replacement surgery cost is for many people outrageously high and for this reason, they search for a more affordable alternative abroad. Shoulder replacement in Turkey is a reasonable alternative, having well-educated orthopedics surgeons in high-class orthopedics clinics.