Although a chalazion is not an emergency medical condition, an acute and inflamed chalazion should generally be treated. If your Chalazion does not resolve within one month, and it affects your vision, you should consult an ophthalmologist for definitive examination and treatment
How long should you stay in the hospital after the surgery?
Overnight stay is not required
Before surgery, patients need to make sure to tell their doctor or anesthesiologist about any medications they are taking, including:
- Over-the-counter (OTC) medications
- Prescription medications
- Vitamins, supplements and herbal remedies
In addition, any health conditions should be mentioned by the patients before the surgery. They should avoid smoking before and after the surgery, as it can negatively affect the whole medical process
In the chalazion treatment with surgery, eye surgeons use local anesthesia before making a small incision, typically from underneath the eyelid to clear the contents of the eyelid bump and to avoid visible scarring. There is an alternate procedure for Chalazion involving the injections of corticosteroid. A potential side effect of this second method is a lightening of the surrounding skin, which can be more problematic in dark-skinned people.
During the recovery of chalazion treatment, patients will be prescribed antibiotics to help keep the treated eye from becoming infected after the surgery. They may also be given eye pads or an eye patch to protect the eye. Some swelling or bruising around your eye is totally normal, and the surgical site may also leak a reddish fluid for a few days.
Chalazion treatment surgery is a low-risk procedure, but it does still carry a few risks and complications such as:
- Temporary blurriness
During the recovery period, patients may experience some side effects include:
- Redness and swelling
- Yellow or thick discharge
- Vision problems
- A fever higher than 101°F (38°C)
It is important to inform the eye surgeon if any of these side effects develop after the surgery.
According to a study including 100 patients, after their chalazion treatment, 78% of patients had no recurrence rate after 6 months and good surgical outcomes. The remaining 22% had a recurrence of Chalazion, but with good initial surgical outcome.
A chalazion is a small, harmless but disturbing condition that can affect the quality of life if it lasts long. Therefore, even if the last option is to get rid of the red and sometimes painful lump on the eyelid with surgery provides great comfort and satisfaction to the patient.
What is Chalazion Treatment?
A chalazion can develop when a meibomian gland at the edge of the eyelid becomes blocked or inflamed. These glands are typically for lubricating the surface of the eyes. Treatment for Chalazionis for getting rid of the Chalazion if it is not disappeared in the expected period of time.
Is Chalazion Treatment Painful?
Before the chalazion treatment surgery, patients will be given anesthesia, so they won’t feel anything during the procedure. If any pain develops after the procedure, patients can use prescribed medicines to reduce their discomfort.
Is There Any Option for Chalazion Treatment Without Surgery?
With the guide of the eye doctor, warm compresses, gentle massage, ointments, solutions, and medicated eye pads can be applied to help to treat Chalazion before choosing the surgery.
This content is written and reviewed by our medical content team in August, 2019.