Hymenoplasty surgery, also known as hymenorrhaphy or hymen reconstruction surgery, is a medical procedure that is performed to restore the hymen.The hymen is a small membrane positioned close to the entry point of the vagina. There is no function of the hymen for the human body. Generally, females have an intact hymen before having intercourse, but there are exceptions.
Sexual intercourse is the initial main reason for the hymen to rupture. In some cases, masturbation can also cause the rupture of the hymen. Some of heavy physical activities may cause the rupture of the hymen as well, such as horseback riding, riding a bicycle, exercise, or sports. Also, the hymen can be ruptured as a result of trauma, a heavy fall, or simply tampon use.
There are several reasons for a woman to decide on a hymen reconstruction surgery:
● Cultural or religious requirements – Women can choose hymenoplasty to regain their intact hymen.
● Healing from sexual abuse –Women who are the survivors of sexual assault may decide on having a hymen reconstruction surgery or hymenoplasty surgery. Hymenoplasty surgery has the role of empowering the woman and restoring their old stronger self.
● Accidental rupture – Hymen can be ruptured by using a tampon in addition to some physical activities. Women can opt for hymenoplasty surgery a few days before marrying.
● Revirginization – Certain women, have this procedure in order to offer their partners a special gift.
For any female patient who wants to repair their hymen, a hymenoplasty can be performed.
Learn more about Hymenoplasty in Turkey by comparing costs and reviewing the clinics and doctors.
Hymenoplasty (40 Clinics)
For patients who are suffering from cancer, poor blood clotting, any kind of gynecological disease, acute infections, or intolerance to anesthesia, the hymenoplasty procedure is not suggested. Also, during the mensuration and a week before the menstruation, hymenoplasty cannot be performed. Additionally, hymenoplasty cannot be performed for pregnant women as well–it’s best to wait until the pregnancy is over.
Before the hymenoplasty operation, doctors perform examinations to check for hepatitis or genital infections such as ureaplasma, mycoplasma, or chlamydia. Doctors also look for inflammatory diseases that might influence the genital area. Also, hymenoplasty is suggested at least a week before menstruation.
Hymenoplasty surgery can be performed in several different methods, such as:
● The first technique is the simplest – the edges of the hymen are simply stitched together. After this procedure, patients might feel pain and bleeding during sexual intercourse.
● With the second technique, a flap of the vaginal mucosa is used to repair the hymen. This operation’s effects remain for around a week.
● With the third technique, the hymen is reconstructed from membranous vestiges or caruncles. This technique is the most common and most efficient one.
Hymenoplasty is mostly performed with local anesthesia. However, some patients may request general anesthesia. Usually, hymenoplasty lasts for around an hour.
The recovery period of hymenoplasty lasts for around 4-6 weeks. Although a hymenoplasty operation is a relatively easy practice, patients should pay attention to the recovery period as well. During the recovery period of hymenoplasty, hygiene is a very important factor. During the recovery phase, patients should observe their bodies for signs of infection, which may involve sudden pain, excessive bleeding, and excessive tenderness. Also, during the recovery period, patients should avoid sexual intercourse as well. Additionally, after the operation, patients should avoid tight underwear for around 2-3 weeks.
There are several complications and risks related to hymen reconstruction surgery, such as:
● Excessive bleeding
● Complications related to anesthesia use
● Over-correction, leading to problematic intercourse
Even though the side effects differ depending on the type of method used, patients might experience pain, discomfort, and soreness.
The success rate of hymenoplasty operations is around 96%.
After the hymen reconstruction surgery, during the first sexual intercourse, patients might experience some amounts of bleeding and pain.
How long should you stay in the hospital after the surgery?
An overnight stay is not required.
How long will the procedure last?
The surgery duration will take 1 hour.
Is general anesthesia required for hymen reconstruction surgery?
During the hymen reconstruction surgery, mostly local anesthesia is used. However, some of the patients may demand general anesthesia specifically.
Which hymenoplasty surgery technique is recommended for me?
Depending on the patient’s expectations from the operation, the type of technique is chosen. While some methods provide more permanent results, other techniques last for about a week.
Do I need to spend the night in the hospital?
Generally, it is not necessary for patients to stay at the hospital after the operation.