Traditional Liposuction VS VASER Liposuction
VASER liposuction is a relatively new liposuction technique used for body reshaping and fat reduction. While traditional liposuction techniques and newer procedures generally follow the same idea - to reduce fatty tissue from different areas of the body, the methods used and results can vary to some degree. Let’s look at the basics of traditional liposuction compared to VASER liposuction.
Traditional liposuction is a type of plastic surgery which removes excess fatty tissues through suction with the help of a cannula – a hollow tube. The patient is put under general anaesthesia and several small incisions are made in the area with excess fat. Saline solution is injected into the incisions in order to further break up the fatty tissue. The cannula is then inserted through the incisions, extracting fat cells permanently. Traditional liposuction can be broken down further into two main techniques: Power assisted liposuction or PAL and suction assisted liposuction or SAL. Both of these techniques use incisions as the main entry point for the cannula but PAL uses a vibrating cannula while with SAL the surgeon will have to manually break fat deposits from the target area.
VASER Liposuction is a minimally invasive type of plastic surgery which can be performed under local anaesthesia, depending on the targeted area. The fatty deposits within the targeted area are liquefied with the help of ultrasound waves, without damaging surrounding tissues such as blood vessels or muscle tissue. The fat is then safely extracted through aspiration with the help of the cannula. The removal of fatty tissue from any area of the body will stimulate the production of collagen, resulting in a much tighter and smoother skin for the patient once the procedure is done.
VASER Liposuction Benefits
As outlined in a 2006 article on liposuction, VASER offers a few notable benefits compared to other techniques:
- Shorter Recovery Period – VASER liposuction requires a much shorter recovery time since it’s a minimally invasive procedure, as opposed to a traditional liposuction which requires a longer recovery period due to larger incisions and potential injuries done under the skin during the process.
- Pain-Free Procedure – VASER liposuction is very comfortable for the patient as well and practically pain-free, as opposed to traditional liposuction which requires forceful thrusts with the cannula under the patient’s skin.
- Local Anaesthesia – VASER offers doctors the option of administering only local anaesthesia while most traditional liposuction procedures are performed under general anaesthesia.
- Better Looking Skin – This type of liposuction will greatly improve your skin’s elasticity allowing the body to adapt to its new shape with ease, while traditional liposuction can leave irregular lumps of fatty tissue or even blood clots under the skin.
- No Scarring – Vaser lipo does not leave any scars or sutures from the incision, while traditional liposuction incisions are larger and require sutures to properly close.
- No Further Surgery Required – Traditional liposuction may require further procedures such as body contouring or skin tightening in order to achieve the best possible results. These extra procedures can be expensive as well as time consuming for the patient.
This content is written and reviewed by our medical content team in January, 2019.