Gamma knife treatment, also known as a Leksell Gamma Knife procedure is a type of radiation therapy used to treat brain tumors. The gamma knife surgery system is based on a high-intensity radiation stemming from 201 cobalt-based sources. The system was developed in the late 60s and since then it has been improved considerably, making it a very reliable treatment option for patients suffering from brain tumors. The cobalt is placed in a circular array, capable of sending radiation beams to any part of the patient’s brain.
The gamma knife system was specifically designed to treat cancer, as well as other diseases of the neck, head or brain. Gamma knife surgery can kill cancer cells, effectively shrinking tumors while at the same time avoiding any damage to surrounding healthy tissue in the patient’s brain. The gamma radiation beams can converge into one spot or several, so only one session is required for the procedure to be effective. Gamma knife surgery is mainly used to treat malignant or benign tumors in the brain but it can also be performed to treat other health problems such as vascular malformations or Parkinson’s disease.
Gamma knife surgery advantages include:
● It is a painless, incision-free radiosurgery system
● It can treat one or more sites during one session
● The procedure does not require overnight hospital stay
● It is a great way to treat inaccessible tumors within the brain
● Patients can return to normal activities in less than 24 hours
● The system can be safely used again if results are not satisfactory after one treatment session
Over 600.000 patients from all around the world underwent gamma knife surgery and surveys report excellent results following this procedure.
Gamma knife surgery is recommended for patients suffering from the following conditions:
● Trigeminal neuralgia
● Pineal region tumors
● Skull base tumors
● Pituitary adenomas
● Acoustic neuromas
● Small or medium-volume intracranial arteriovenous malformations
● Metastatic tumors
Gamma Knife Treatment (26 Clinics)
What Our Patients Say