Recommended For Breast Implant Removal
There are several reasons why some women decide for breast implant removal. These include:
Number Of Trips Abroad
- Health Concerns– increasing public awareness as well as the studies which are reporting that rupture or deflation occurs in roughly 10 to 25 percent of silicone gel and saline implants over 10 years, make women who underwent this type of breast augmentation to think about breast implant removal.
- Sports and Healthy Lifestyle– growing emphasis on healthy lifestyle causes women with all types of breast implants to reconsider their decision. In particular, large breast implants can affect the ability of the person to do sports, as well as the unnecessary pressure on the spine. The same situation causes women with large breasts to consider a breast reduction.
- Corrections and their Costs– some patients who think that removing breast implants is a good option are simply tired of correcting their breast implants every few years and of costs it generates.
Discharge From Hospital
Overnight stay is not required
Duration Of Operation
1 to 2 hours
While breast implants and breast augmentation are still among the most popular cosmetic surgeries ever, their future seems to be less spectacular. Over the years, one of the beauty criteria was to have large breasts. It seemed like women couldn't be beautiful without at least a C cup breasts. One of the reasons for this was the women who increased the size of their breasts through breast implant surgeries. Now, with more and more news about breast implants gone wrong, many women start to think that removing breast implants is a good idea. Moreover, many owners of breast implants are the women who do regular sports activities and they realize that breast implant removal may allow them to practice more intensely and reduce the pressure on their spines.
Additionally, some women decide for breast implant removal only to have new, smaller breast implants placed as a way of downsizing their breast size rather than resigning from breast implants at all.
Doctors advise their patients a healthy lifestyle full of exercises before removing breast implants. Smoking is not allowed as it may affect the processes before, during and after breast implant removal surgery. Additionally, there are some medicines which are prohibited for several days, especially those with the blood-thinning effect such as aspirin and anti-inflammatory as well as some herbal supplements. Finally, patients are asked to fast for several hours before implant removal.
How It Is Performed
There are two main types of breast implant removal surgery. These are:
- Breast Implant Removal without Replacement– many patients want to come back to their natural breasts, not only to reduce their size. In this case, patients require complete removal of breast implants without replacement. After removing the breast implants, the doctor continues to remove the capsule (scar tissue around the breast implant). This procedure is called a capsulectomy.
- Breast Implant Removal with Replacement– some women think that the idea of having a breast implant doesn't make them feel bad. So, they want to get smaller (or even larger in some cases) implant size.
This type of breast implant removal may be performed even under local anesthesia. Sometimes, patients decide for breast implant removal with lift in order to avoid sagging and unattractive look of their old-new breasts.
Breast implant removal recovery is a quite short process, especially if compared to breast augmentation surgery, where it sometimes took several weeks to feel quite better. For an easy recovery process, it is important as in every procedure to follow the aftercare instructions given by the surgeons and clinics. In breast implant removal recovery, only the first few days may be quite uncomfortable and you are advised to stay at home and relax. Heavy lifting is forbidden for 3 weeks or so after removing breast implants.
As with all types of plastic surgery, there are some possible (mild to severe) breast implant removal risks and complications, as well. These include infection, hematoma, anesthesia risks, losing sensation in the nipples and sagging of the breast and some amounts of loose skin.
For this reason, some doctors perform breast implant removal and uplift rather than just breast implant removal itself.
Removing breast implants may also lead to some side effects. First and foremost – patients need to get used to their new-old look. Patients are sometimes not satisfied with their breasts due to sagging or plenty of loose skin appear after the surgery. This side effect can be corrected by performing the removal of the breast implant and breast lifting operation together.
What is Breast Implant Removal?
Back To Work
Basically, the goal of breast implant removal surgery is to remove breast implants from breast augmentation or breast reconstruction patients depending on various reasons– health concerns, changing standards of beauty and more active lifestyle.
Are Silicone Breast Implants Safe?
In general, silicone breast implants are safe, but a small portion of them may be damaged and deformed over the years, requiring a new breast augmentation surgery. They can also make breast cancer screening more difficult.
Why Some People Choose Breast Implant Removal and Lift? This combination is a good one especially with older patients, who want the smaller size of breasts but want them to look good. During this combined surgery option, surgeons remove any excess breast skin and also tighten the breast tissue to provide better support after the removal operation.
Back To Sports
Up to a case
This content is written and reviewed by our medical content team in June, 2019.