Gynecology is a branch of medicine that is concerned with female health care. The meaning of gynecology is derived from two words that are Greek gyne (woman) and logia (study).
A gynecologist is sometimes called Obgyn. Obstetrics and gynecology branches do not only focus on checking for possible gynecology issues but also manages them by several kinds of gynecology operations such as hysterectomy. Gynecology tests and gynecology practices such as PAP smear are instruments of caring about female patient’s health care and their fertility.
Obgyn – What Does It Stand For?
Obgyn stands for obstetrician/gynecologist. Gynecologists are not only experts in women’s health care but also in pregnancy and childbirth as well. Some of them might be experts in family planning too.
To become a gynecologist, one needs to sacrifice. To properly help the patients with gynecology problems, gynecologist candidates spend a couple of years at the university, internships, and specialization courses.
Gynecologic Oncology as a Part of General Gynecology
Gynecologic oncology is a branch of gynecology that is concerned with women’s reproductive organ cancers. Common kinds of gynecologic cancer involve uterine cancer and ovarian cancer. Also, there are numerous sorts of soft tissue cancers that can affect women’s reproductive organs as well. One of the ways of dealing with those diseases is hysterectomy.
What is hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy is a type of gynecology surgery, in which the patient’s parts or the entire reproductive system is removed to resect cancerous tissues.
As a result of globalization, the connection between people from different places of the world is increasing. Globalization also affects medicine, and the importance of medical tourism/health tourism is growing with time. Nowadays, many patients are choosing to travel abroad to get the medical help they need with a price they can afford. This applies to the gynecology procedures as well. Many female patients around the world decide on health tourism destinations to get treatment for their gynecology problems and undergo gynecology surgeries. This situation is resulted by growing standards in foreign countries in addition to qualified gynecologists working in clinics in countries such as Turkey, Spain, Poland, India, etc. The most common destinations involve:
- India – while this country seems for many as just a tropical country full of cultural sites, it is also a house to a growing health tourism industry. There are well-educated gynecologists in the clinics in Delhi and other main cities. The only disadvantage might be expensive plane tickets.
- Hungary – Hungary is well-known for its dentistry procedures and cosmetic surgery clinics, but it is also one of the regional leaders in gynecological procedures, offering treatments such hysterectomy as a way of fighting with gynecologic cancer.
- Spain – Spain is no longer associated only with tourism and its splendid historical heritage. Spain is also one of the popular destinations of medical tourism, attracting patients looking for best gynecologists able to perform even the most complicated gynecology surgery.
- Turkey –over the decade, Turkey became one of the popular destinations of medical tourism. Health tourism in Turkey is supported by its proximity to Europe and the Middle East on the one hand, and superb gynecology clinics staffed with top gynecology doctors on the other hand. Many patients choose to go to Istanbul or Bursa to get treatment for their gynecology problems.
Gynecological Procedures most Popular in Health Tourism
Even though there are many gynecology operations, not each one is equally popular in health tourism. The most common types of gynecologic procedures that are also performed abroad include:
- PAP Smear– Usually PAP smear is the first step in detecting gynecologic cancer. Pap smear is generally performed during the pelvic test. During a PAP smear, the doctor gets samples of loose cells from the patient’s cervix and examines them to search for cancer cells. This procedure is one of the most common gynecology practices abroad since it can cost a lot in some countries when it is performed in a private setting.
- Hysterectomy– Hysterectomy is the medical procedure of removing the reproductive system partially or completely. Hysterectomy can be performed in different ways, such as radical hysterectomy, partial hysterectomy, total hysterectomy, etc. Depending on the type of disease, only uterus, the uterus with the cervix, the uterus with cervix, ovaries, and fallopian tubes, or all these organs with surrounding soft tissue can be removed to combat gynecologic cancer or prevent it is spreading all over the body. Hysterectomy operation is an important surgery that should be performed by qualified specialists. Yet, for most of the patients, the cost of hysterectomy is very expensive in their home countries, so they go to other countries such as Turkey or Poland to get their treatment at an affordable price.